Michael Hawash is a veteran trial lawyer who also serves as a mediator, arbitrator and early dispute resolution professional. Over a career that spans three decades, Michael has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of disputes, including those arising out of insurance coverage, insurance bad faith, professional malpractice, breach of contract, deceptive trade practices and other high-stakes business disputes. Licensed to practice law in all courts throughout Texas, Michael has frequently been admitted pro hac vice by the bar associations of many other states.
In addition to traditional court cases, Michael also handles arbitrations brought under the American Arbitration Association (AAA), Judicial Arbitration & Mediation Services (JAMS) and International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) rules.
Aside from representing parties in high-stakes insurance and commercial litigation, Michael is often engaged as a mediator to aid litigants in finding fair and economical solutions to disputes outside of the courtroom, typically with a massive savings of time, energy and expense. As a certified mediator, Michael can serve as a neutral in both traditional and dynamic mediation, as well as an early dispute resolution professional using the protocols of the EDR Institute.
When not practicing law, Michael indulges his passion for military history by visiting and exploring great battlefields all over the world.
Michael resides in Houston, Texas with his wife, Tori, and their sons, Luke and Gray.
- The University of Houston, Doctor of Jurisprudence, 1994
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.A. in Government, 1991
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.A. in History, 1991
Honors & Awards
- Texas Super Lawyers – since 2011 (Thomson Reuters)
- Texas Super Lawyers Top 100 Attorneys in Houston – 2014-2015 (Thomson Reuters)
- Ranked “Superb” by Avvo
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern, Northern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Certified Mediator – AA White Dispute Resolution Center
- Trained Neutral – EDR Institute
- Michael Hawash & Judge Jim Kovach, No Jury, No Trial, No Problem: A New Form of Dynamic Mediation Is Helping to Unclog Harris County’s Civil Dockets, The Houston Lawyer (January 2021).
- Michael Hawash, Early Dispute Resolution Comes of Age During the Pandemic, Just Resolutions (American Bar Association 2020).
- Michael Hawash & Peter Silverman, An Introduction to Early Dispute Resolution (Association of Attorney Mediators Annual Conference, 2020).
- Michael Hawash, Normandy, The Magnificent Eleven and Mediation (https://houstonmediation.com/ 2019).
- Michael Hawash, Foreword, Turning Point: Recollections of Russian Participants and Witnesses of the Stalingrad Battle (Leaping Horseman Books, 2008).
- Michael Hawash, What Every Game Developer needs to Know About Intellectual Property Rights, Computer Gaming World (January 1999).
- Michael Hawash, How to Start and Grow Your Own Computer Game Development Company, (1999).
- Michael Hawash, The Ultimate Online Lawsuit, Computer Gaming World (November 1998).
- Co-Author with Peter A. McLauchlan, Recent Developments in Admiralty Jurisdiction, 18 Tul. Mar. L. J. 262 (1994).
- Instructor, Early Dispute Resolution Neutral Certification & Training, EDR Institute (June 2021).
- Panel Member, The Future of Alternative Dispute Resolution, American Arbitration Association (March 2021).
- An Introduction to Early Dispute Resolution, Association of Attorney Mediators Annual Conference (September 2020).
- American Bar Association, Committees on Alternative Dispute Resolution and Early Dispute Resolution
- Association of Attorney-Mediators
- EDR Institute, Board of Directors
- Federal Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas Association of Mediators
- Texas Mediator Credentialing Association